Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Performance Showing

I've been performance showing for quite a while now. It's by far my favorite division to show in! From the first time I saw Jennifer Buxton's blog I knew that's what I wanted to do. 

So with a borrowed saddle and some home-made props I set off to my first performance show.

I got pounded. I received two NAN cards; one in harness (I was the only one in the class) and one in Other Western. 
Harness entry by Emma VR, photo by Maddy Hinman 

After this I knew I had to step up my game. Like many people, I obsessed over my setups. I learned about real equine events, some I had never even heard of. I learned the appropriate amount of bling a reining could have.

My setups slowly got better and I'm very happy with the progress I've made. My most recent show was Models In The Sunshine. My highest placing was 3rd, but I'm so happy with it! 


Other English entry by Emma VR, tack by Five Paws Studios, photo by Maddy Hinman

However, there are many things that I wish I'd knew at my first performance show. I'll share a few with you, and hopefully you can learn from them!


1. Use sticky wax liberally.
At one show, I had a very elaborate Western Skijoring setup in Other Western. It took me a while to set up. The judge read my reference card and looked it over many times. Then when she set out the ribbons she passed mine over.
I went over to get it so I could tack up the horse for english. The judge stopped me as I was walking back to my table and said she loved my setup and it was correct, but the bit had fallen out on both sides. She also said she would have placed it first had that not happened.

2. It's OK to talk to other, more experienced performance showers for help.
One of my best friendships ever started with a simple question to Maddy about performance showing and tack making. I wouldn't be where I am now without her and Becky, and my setups would be nowhere as good! I've also met Rachel Fail at a recent show. She didn't hesitate to share her tack making secrets and answered and questions I asked.


Amazing setup by Rachel Fail. Photo by Becky McCorkendale.


3. Performance showing is expensive.
No doubt about it. Performance showing is EXPENSIVE. You can easily have a $400 model, $300 tack set, and a $200 doll. I imagine there are many people out there who would love to do it but don't think they can afford it.
How I as a 13 year old girl afford it, you ask? I trade. People will trade quality paintwork for tack. Figure out something you enjoy doing, and work at it until people want your work!

Western Pleasure set owned by Jennifer Arsuaga, tack and doll by ?
RRS Ms. Congeniality owned and painted by Emma VR
Although I've learned many things, these are just some of the most important. If you'd like to hear more, let me know in a comment! Thanks for reading!

-Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment